Building Tiny Habits: A Tidy Apartment | Grishmapolitan: Building Tiny Habits: A Tidy Apartment

Wednesday 11 March 2015

Building Tiny Habits: A Tidy Apartment

I'm really digging doing a resolution a month. I spent more time in nature in February than the last six months combined, and even though I'm no longer making it a goal to hike every week, I still went on a short morning hike on Saturday. This is awesome. Focusing on one thing at a time means I actually make progress.

This month, I've challenged myself to clean for 20 minutes each day.



I didn't arbitrarily choose 20 minutes, I got the idea from UFYH (a blog for messy people trying to be clean, not clean people trying to be cleaner.) They are proponents of 20/10 challenges, where you break down large, daunting tasks into 20/10s: 20 minutes of work time followed by a 10-minute break. 

I know what you're thinking--is 20 minutes really enough to clean every day?

Not at first. But I'll tell you more about that when I do the end-of-month recap. 

Today I want to talk about that pile of clutter you've tucked away in the corner. Mine happened to be on a shelf hidden behind a chair. And after 20 minutes of cleaning, here's what happened:


It doesn't look like much.

Sometimes, before-and-afters can look like those "Spot the Difference" puzzles in Sunday comics, and that's okay. Because when you walk past what used to be a cluttered mess and is no longer a second, outside junk drawer, it feels so damn good.



It takes a long time to find a place for those odds and ends you've been neglecting. 20 minutes, actually.


No comments:

Post a Comment