Apple Crostata | Grishmapolitan: Apple Crostata

Saturday 20 September 2014

Apple Crostata

Moist cakes? I'm your girl. Pies? Uh... fine. I'll branch out. 

Today I made a tart with a buttery, flaky crust. After typing "buttery, flaky crust-ed tart" with admittedly strange google results, I learned some vital information:



crostata, huh? I gave Ina Garten's recipe a try (with a twice as much orange zest than the recipe calls for.) 

But I didn't want soggy crust.

Pie crust is flaky (instead of soggy) when you work with really cold materials. You'll need a food processor to mix the dough, because the heat from your hands will melt the butter if you knead it. Toss the butter in the freezer for 15 or so minutes before you use it. And make sure you use ice water.


If you don't have a food processor, I've read that using a grater to shred the cold butter helps keep the dough's temperature down--just use a spoon to mix instead of your hands.


I doubled the amount of orange zest because it smelled really good. I wouldn't think to pair apples and oranges in a pastry, but it was so delicious.

Next time, I'm zesting the entire orange.

No comments:

Post a Comment