How to Treat a Stomach Flu | Grishmapolitan: How to Treat a Stomach Flu

Tuesday 18 November 2014

How to Treat a Stomach Flu


I'm livin' the dream, guys.

I'm going to spare you the nitty gritty details of how my digestive system feels right now, but let me just say that stomach pain is the worst because my usual coping strategy--snacks--is useless right now. I have no appetite. Boo.

Thankfully, I didn't have to go to the doctor (driving to and sitting in an office while clenching my stomach sounds like absolute misery) and I had our school nurse help me during lunch. A stomach flu could be a lot of other things, she says, and it's important to know whether you have a viral infection or just ate one too many enchiladas last night.

Do I Have a Stomach Flu?

Here are the symptoms:
  • Abdominal cramps
  • Stomach pain
  • Nausea/dizziness 
  • Vomiting/diarrhea

I Have a Stomach Flu. Now What?

1. Rest. 
This is obvious, I know, but also really hard to actually do. Laying in bed when I'm not asleep is really hard. I get restless and start feeling anxious that I'm not using my time well (I should do the dishes. I should respond to emails. etc. etc.) 
In times like this, what helps me is making my bed into a nest. Sort of. Everything I need is within arms reach, and it makes it easier to just roll around and enjoy bed rest. 
Lots of pillows, cozy socks, tea, water, an apple-scented candle, and Friends.

2. Pedialyte
I got a couple of bottles of pedialyte to make sure that I don't get dehydrated, and can I just say that I'm horrified by how sugary this stuff tastes? According to my friend Coby, it tastes like melted otter pops. And I agree. You're not supposed to dilute them, so I chug a cup down every few hours (or every time I uh go to the bathroom) and wash it down with water. 

3. Bland Food
You want to stick to toast, rice, potatoes, and bread. The plainer, the better, so that it doesn't upset your stomach. Small amounts of greek yogurt are okay--I added a drizzle of honey on top of mine and it didn't upset my stomach. Stay away from caffeine, spices, and... anything delicious, basically.


A Few More Tips...
  • Clean your toilet when you're starting to get over it. The stomach flu is a virus, so you don't want to spread it to anyone else who uses your bathroom.
  • You're contagious for up to two weeks after you show no more symptoms of the stomach flu, so be sure to frequently wash your hands!
Alright, my croissants are all cooked in the oven. Time to go lay in bed again.

No comments:

Post a Comment