Monogrammed Coir Doormat | Grishmapolitan: Monogrammed Coir Doormat

Saturday 5 July 2014

Monogrammed Coir Doormat

I was digging around the internet trying to find a doormat I liked, and eventually narrowed it down to the following: 



But then I realized that I don't want to spend $40 on a doormat. Instead, I spent $8 and used Lia Griffith's monogrammed door mat tutorial to make my own. Here it is:


I fell in love with the design and didn't want to change a thing. Literally. (She uses a G, too.)


I used: 
  • Coir doormat // $5, Ikea
  • Black spray paint // $3 from a local hardware store
  • Griffith's stencil // print here
The hardest part in making this doormat was making sure that the stencil was a) in the middle, and b) not lopsided. I've never been good at eyeing straight lines (I think it's because I always kinda tilt my head to my left), which is terribly inconvenient for someone who's into geometric designs.

Heads up--unless you mount the mat to the wall, you can't use a leveler to align anything. Unless you're okay with the risk of getting paint on walls, you can't push the mat against one outside to make sure it's straight.


I used tape measure to make the stencil's placement as straight and centric as possible. It was a lot of guess and check, but I made sure the edges of the antlers were equidistant from the edge of the mat, and that the top and bottom of the "G" were equidistant from the mat. 


I'm actually still not sure if it's straight (I can never tell, remember?)

Oh well.



No comments:

Post a Comment