The Morning Narrative | Grishmapolitan: The Morning Narrative

Friday 16 May 2014

The Morning Narrative

Sunlight is awesome. I can be so productive when it's sunny, but if it's dark outside, I get nothing done. I can't think of a single time in my life when I haven't pushed my bed against a window so that I could wake up to the sun every morning.

Well, that's a lie. I can think of now.

I love my apartment, minus the bedroom. It faces the hallway, so there are no windows.

I basically sleep in a dungeon.

(You can imagine how hard it is to wake up.)

Most days, I wake up with this disgusting feeling--guess I better roll out of my dungeon because I have to go to work, yippee...

Not the best way to start your day. And, for me, I noticed that it set the tone for how I approached anything else for hours. I was worried. I was cynical. I was this hollow shell of a human being trying so, so hard to complete tasks despite feeling grumpy.



During the winter months, I started meditating in the mornings to help alleviate anxiety and give me the motivation to actually go to work (I highly recommend UCLA's guided mediations.)

I've noticed I'm feeling better now, because of the sun. But the morning narrative is still the same... I just don't feel as awful because of it.

I still don't want to get out of bed.

I want to change my first thought from "ugh, I have to--" to "hey, I get to--" because I think it'll set my thoughts up in a more positive cycle. I don't want to start my days numbly checking things off a to-do list.

I'm talking about #15 in this article.

I can't wake up because I want to go to work. I've tried ways to want to go to work in the mornings, and it's not going to happen. I need something else. Exercise seems like the most obvious option, but I know that's not going to happen right now either. Maybe someday I'll be the type of person who goes for a morning jog, but I can already imagine the excuses I'm going to make at 4:45am. I need something I already like. Something I can do no matter the weather, season, or location.

(If you, like me, feel uncomfortable dismissing exercise as a morning routine because it sounds "like something you should do," just remember that the goal is to make it easier to wake up, not harder! You, like me, can figure out how to become a morning jogger as a separate goal.)

Here's what I've been doing over the past couple of weeks:



I wake up and drink some juice (this cup is full of lavender kombucha.) I read a book for 15 minutes. (And I don't touch my computer!)

I'm really enjoying this so far! I don't hit the snooze button anymore and I feel much calmer throughout the day.



Got any ideas? What gets you out of bed?

No comments:

Post a Comment