Before You Make a Vision Board... | Grishmapolitan: Before You Make a Vision Board...

Tuesday 17 June 2014

Before You Make a Vision Board...

Fantasizing about the future is my #1 hobby. I'm all about vision boards (a poster, collage, or some sort of visual representation of your ideal life.) When my mind isn't actively engaging with something, it's always thinking about the future.

For example, I spent 20 minutes during my morning shower fantasizing about a cool future kitchen. I imagined some cool dishes. And a bar cart

Seems harmless, right?

But this is how it happens. This is what makes it hard to stay present. The more I think about a future kitchen, the less I've enjoyed my yummy, minty soap.

The more I think about the future, the more I worry about it.

Some people swear by vision boards, but many psychologists say they're bad news.

According to psychologist Neil Farber, vision boards "may be beneficial to some; in particular, helping us organize and more clearly delineate our goals. However, there is good evidence that these actions may also be detrimental." He conducted several studies--among students, athletes, job-hunters--and found that people were "more successful if they imagined themselves training rather than winning."

Visualizing a possible future as if it has already occurred means that you're not living mindfully in the present.

So, I'm not going to make a vision board.

I'm going to make an action board instead. A "how can I enjoy the present" board. A "what can I do right now to become happier" board. Because when I'm writhing around the floor feeling really, really awful, I don't need to think about some ideal life that I have to wait for. I need to see something I can do right then, something that'll feel good now.

I don't want a Tomorrow Board.

I want a Now Board.



What's on this thing? A bunch of things I already enjoy (not things I feel like I should enjoy!)

1. Stories about people's lives and travels. Reading a good book calms me down.

2. Incense, or candles. Sandalwood and jasmine incense remind me of the serene vibe inside Indian temples.

3. Animals cheer me up. Always.

4. Art, in person. Being around art nourishes me.

5. Meditating and yoga. I have never regretted spending my time that way. Ever.

6. Drawing and writing. We all need a creative release!

7. Taking photos, because I end up discovering details about things I wouldn't have otherwise. It feels like meditating, really. 

Now, I have a solid reminder of a bunch of things I can do if I feel gross in my head. 

No comments:

Post a Comment