Comic Strip Magnets | Grishmapolitan: Comic Strip Magnets

Monday 9 June 2014

Comic Strip Magnets

Nobody loves out-of-context comic panels as much as me. Sunday comics are my jam.

Last year, I decided to make fridge magnets out of comic strips. Today, I actually made some.



Here's what you need:

  • Sunday Paper
  • Magnet Strip ($2)
  • Scissors and/or Exacto Knife
  • Glue (I used wood glue, but anything stronger than Elmo should work just fine)
  • Clear PVC sheet ($1)
  • Sheet of balsa wood ($2) I used balsa because I'm familiar with it, and because it's easy to cut without needing a saw or a sander. It's a really light wood though, so the final product doesn't feel as sturdy. If you want something a little harder but still easy to work with, I'd recommend birch.


(aren't these scissors the cutest?)

Cut out the panels you want to use, and glue them onto the wood. To prevent wrinkling the paper, use a very little amount of glue (this part doesn't need fool-proof gluing). 

Then, cut the shapes out with scissors or an exacto knife (you can use scissors on balsa without a problem.) Place the PVC sheet over the paper, and carefully trace and cut it so that it'll cover the entire square. Then, glue around the edges, and attach smaller pieces of the magnet strips onto the back. I messed up quite a few times... newspaper is difficult to work with, so you might consider printing out the images on thicker paper/with better ink.


If you're patient and want something that looks more professional, you can get glass covers instead of the PVC sheets. The only caveat is that you can't choose the size since the glass is pre-cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment